Monday, July 14, 2008

The Treehouse by Naomi Wolf

When I was at university I worked at a large call centre for a direct marketing company who sold wine. Populated mainly by actors, film people, musicians and students the place was constantly abuzz with conversations about what people 'really' did. I worked there for 4 years, the entire duration of my course and as I watched streams of actors come and go between auditions and small roles, it seemed to me that many of them (especially older the ones), were pining constantly for a lover who didn't love them. I always wondered when they would draw the line and decide that perhaps they were just not going to 'make' it.

Ah the innocence of babes! When I finished my own dubious degree in the 'arts', I came crashing down to earth with the realisation that someone who had studied ancient Mongolian languages actually had a better chance of getting a job than I did. With no job or kudos to validate my work, I quietly packed it up and drew the line. But passions un-fueled leave your soul cold, and I found myself vainly trying to reestablish an artistic practise. It seemed however that making a commitment to your craft regardless of the result, is a frightening leap worthy of any base jumper.

This leap is the unlikely subject of Naomi Wolf's book 'The Treehouse', a simple and personal memoir about her father, a poet and a teacher, who in 12 essential lessons, categories the practise of committing to your craft, and should you not have one, seeking out what is unique and purposeful about your soul. Wolf weaves a narrative about the building of her daughter's tree house with her father's life story and his lessons. The treehouse becomes a symbolic shelter where the you can grow into who you are, high above the world ignorant to it's trials and demands.

For anyone looking to move their life agenda beyond the commercial considerations we all seem to live and die by this book is a beacon. It provides a guiding light to gently uncover and refine who we really are, and to respect what we create whether it be a painting, music, a cake or a lovely afternoon with a child. Wolf's dad Leonard is a charming role model, who refuses to believe that life must or should be limited in anyway. From his eccentric dress choices, which vary from a yellow rain slicker to a Greek shepherd's shirt, to full English riding outfit. To his unshakable belief that every human being has a creative message within their soul, a message from a higher place, and that our only purpose here on earth is to unearth that message.

This book is a profound discussion with a creative elder, someone who has devoted their entire lives to a creative pursuit and thus know it's real pitfalls and pay offs. However in reviewing Leonard's lessons we open our eyes to the many subtle and wonderful creative acts going on around us everyday. Our lives after all are our greatest creative masterpiece. That every person has a unique purpose is something I have always believed in, but somehow I thought that discovering your purpose would then take you into the world to find fame, fortune or success.

I am discovering however that it is in the doing, the creating and the living that life's rewards are reaped.

No comments: