Thursday, July 3, 2008

One Day My Soul Opened Up by Iyanla Vanzant

At another chaotic junction in my young life approximately 10 years ago I bought a book called "One Day my Soul Just Opened Up" by Iyanla Vanzant. At the time I was convinced that spiritual study for 40 days and nights was what my soul needed. The thought has re-occurred to me many times in the last 10 years that I have owned this book. However in it's 10th year of possession I have finally completed the 40 day course and I can honestly say that it has transformed me.

Iyanla Vanzant is a spiritual teacher and Yoruba priestess who transformed her own chaotic life consisting of teen pregnancy, abusive relationships and a dizzying search for meaning. She offers in this book every lesson she learned on her journey. It is split into 40 lessons, one daily that honour spirit, life, yourself, and others.

Taking the time to do this course has been incredibly enlightening and healing, when I arrived at every day's lessons I found the answers to questions, I didn't even know I was asking. The overall theme that stood out for me was one of surrender. A time to let go of all the hurts from the past and the expectations for the future and focus on the stuff of my life right now.

I suspect depending on where you are in your own life, a different theme will arise.

If your life feels chaotic and your struggling to find meaning in it, I would highly recommend this book, and don't worry if you can't stick with it for 40 days, hang on it and when you need to - you will.

For those who can't commit I still feel that what she offers is a treasure so I sum up her lessons below;

1. Tell the Truth
Even if it feels like there will be a free fall if you do, there will be a net to catch you. Suppressing the truth will poison your soul.
2. Do What You Know You Have To
You owe yourself to keep the promises you make to yourself. If your in doubt about what to do ask yourself; 1. Will it bring joy to my life without harming anyone? 2. Will it be good for me and others ? 3. Will this thing move me beyond some fear I am holding onto?
3. Discipline Your Mind, Your Body, and Your being
4. Put Your Life In Order
Start with your house and work your way up to your heart and mind
5. Make Another Choice
That may simply mean choosing to think about something differently
6. When something is done, LET IT GO
7. Trust yourself and god
8. Fear Not
No matter what you do, or what happens - YOU CAN NOT LOSE. Everything that happens is a gift.

No comments: